Day 17 Gooding to Burley
It's just before supper and I'm at the library in Burley, ID. (pop 10,000) Friendly, helpful people here. The public use computer wouldn't work properly so I'm in the library office. They're putting me to work once I'm done this.
Fred and I left with David T just before 7:30. A little cooler start to the day, but it got hot later on. Our first stop was at the Miller Dairy farm about 1 hr or so down the road. They have a mid sized farm, 1700 cows, and a 50 stall rotary parlour. We could get water and milk and a tour there. Here the land is farmed more intensively. Irrigation water is plentiful, and we saw our first potatoe fields today. (Idaho is famous for potatoes)
Just before Twin Falls, we came across the Snake River canyon. Spectacular views. Too bad my camera battery went dead, but others will have pics on the site for sure.
We dropped David T there as he wanted to hang around. In Twin Falls, the Reformed Church there hosted us for lunch. Subway sand, milk (even choc), and watermelon. Delicious. Steve P from CO said, "Better not let my wife see pictures of this. I'm supposed to be having it rough"
We had a good tail wind, so we could make pretty good time, but by 100 k (60 mi) our rears were getting a little sore. 30 or so to go. We stopped in Murtaugh for a Sobey's as we missed Walter who was still behind us. (just)
On the way to our stop, Burley, we passed Ed G (ON), Adrian K (ON) and Dale M (MI). A little later, they came zipping by us. Fred who was behind me says "we should pass them again". Well, not being competitive, I hesitated at first, but then went for it. As I passed them, Adrian said something I won't repeat. He passed me later on. So we smoked it into town, the 5 of us, missed the exit to the school, but found a nice sports place in town for a cool one. I told Adrian what he said and we had a good laugh (it wasn't that bad, really).
Burley also has a nice school. Only 10 years old. They've won State in basketball the last 2 years, but their football team has won only 6 games in 10 years according to the janitor. (Over 1,000 students, gr 9-12). Their football field has astroturf with that rubber compound mixed in. Huge stands either side. The gym seats 2,700, but will be standing room only for certain games.
Bottom line: Cycled 139 k, 4:45 in saddle, avg 28.7 kph (17 mph)
PS: Whoever wants to know about Wiebo, he is doing just fine. When I ask, he says "Good". Nothing really different than when I reported about him on Day 11, and Fred M in between. So all is well as far as I know. Everything here is so scheduled, we have little time to chit chat. I'll tell him an anonymous person is asking.

5 Comments:
Hi Randy,
What a day huh? Saw the mileage this mornig and knew it would be a challenging day. Sounds like you did great!
Is someone trying to kill you this week? The mileages seem outrageous.
Keep on riding and writing. Wihtout the pain, we are enjoying it!
Blessings,
Fred
Hi Randy,
We are happy to hear that you are having such a great time. We apprieciate reading your blogs every day and have been following along with the blogs pictures and with the devotional every day. Please say hello to My Mom and Dad and to Fred and Dini and Betty for us. I know from talking to Dad last week that he is having an excellent time and from the pictures I have seen of both him and Mom it looks like it too. You are all in our prayers every day.
Jeannette and John Huisman and family
Hi Randy and Fred
130 km wow you guys are doing awesome! whats with walter not being there for you though.....is he slacking off? lol
thanks so much for keeping up to date randy it is so good to hear from you day to day, we kind of feel like we are doing this with you (except not working as hard as you guys)
we will be praying for you guys, looking at the devotional we saw you have some big days ahead of you. know that we are praying for you each and every day
safe ride, the triemstras
Hey Randy (Dan Quayle) I hope you and the Vice President aren't having spelling bees with the word "potato"
I hope you and Fred are having fun prancing around America finding your "mid life inner peace" well we stiffs are working our butts off keeping the economy going.
Always slaving and paying our tax's in Canada
Hey Randy,
We're following you all the way ... praying for strength - physically and mostly mentally and spiritually. Everyday cycling to and from work, I think and pray for you guys. I'm putting in my piddling 11.5 km each way and thinking you guys are doing 10x as much 6 days a week. Wow!
Had to laugh that your latent competitive spirit is coming out; or maybe its the frustration of going cold turkey on conjugal intimacy? ... anyhow, sounds like you dropped the guy pretty good ... maybe when you get back to Chill you'll be looking to do a road race?!? By then your massive thigh muscles will intimidate all the weekend road warriors :)
Love your descriptions (and Fred's) of the towns, terrain, people, and experiences.
Two more days and then a well deserved day of rest and celebration! We're praying that in keeping your focus on the poor, on witnessing to the power of the gospel, and promoting Christian unity you will find great purpose with each spin of the pedal. God's speed and Shalom as you keep hammering through the miles.
Hope you have a restful sleep tonight.
John
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home