Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Day 10 La Grande to Baker City

Another beautiful day in Oregon. We sure can't complain about the weather. Right now it's about 80 and I'm at the library in Baker City.

We left just after 7 AM today, a little earlier than planned. But we took our time through some of the small towns along the way. The first place was Union, calling itself the Victorian Heritage town. I've got a few pictures there, the old house, the library donated in 1912 by Andrew Carnegie and a couple of others, one you can maybe make out Levi Strauss painted on the brick a long, long time ago.

Form there we met Walter at the 40 k (24 mi) mark for a water refill. Our support staff including Betty T, Dini M, Diane S, Geri V are doing a great job. (thought I'd throw that in there a second). There are others helping too of course and they are fantastic as well. We met Walter just after 9.

We hit North Powder before 10. There is a picture of an old mercantile bldg from that place. That was about it. No chocolate milk anywhere I could see. But lots of cyclists stopped at a road side java stand in Haines. Pop 402, no 404, a lady across the road had twins last night. Thought she was only having one! That's what the lady at the store selling chocolate milk told me.

At Haines we only had 20k (12 mi) to go and Fred and I rode in with Barb M (Sioux Ctr IA)and Gerry K (Yakima, WA). Barb can haul like you wouldn't believe. She's pulling and I have to work to keep up. She's in the lead at about 34 kph (20 mph).
So we were at Baker City HS before the gear truck at 11:20.

We biked to town, had lunch, then I went sight seeing. If you see the pictures, the tall bldg is the Baker Hotel, built in 1929, a world class hotel at the time. You could buy shares from a total pool of $ 300,000. At the time a lot of money. The Geiser Grand hotel with the top turret was built first, in 1889. The new Baker Hotel didn't help business at the Geiser. (Stopped at the museum, that's how I know all that stuff). Btw Alma, lots of antiques and old things there. I was thinking about you. The museum used to be a natorium or indoor swimming pool, complete with a ball room on the second floor. The Catholic church was built in 1908. (Again, my pictures should show up on Fred Meyerink's site. No flats for Fred today also. Things are looking up).

Well, I best be off to camp and set up my tent etc. Totals for the day: 81 k (49 mi), 4:15 total, but only 3:12 cycling (we'll pay for it later, trust me), avg speed 25.4 kph (just over 15 mph)

8 Comments:

At July 9, 2008 at 4:34 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey dad, how are things? whats with the chocolate milk. That doesn't seem like good biking fuel. Well i hope all things are good. How are the people from edmonton doing? Are they beating you to the rest stops or not. Nothing new in edmonton. ttyl.

 
At July 9, 2008 at 10:51 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Randy,wow that is quite some info.from you about the trip.It is realy appreciated back home. Could you tell us how Wiebo is doing? the small group here are anxious to hear some news about him.Say hello to the support crew froma us.You all are on our mind and in our prayers.Keep on peddling.
Bill and Elisabeth K.

 
At July 10, 2008 at 6:21 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Batman and Robin (I'll let you and Fred M. decide who's who).

It's great to read your blog every night. Except for the stats about elevations, distances (anything with numbers)etc. the way you write is very interesting. I like hearing about the scenery, history and the locals you meet along the way.

Checking up on you gives me the opportunity to stop in on a few other biker blogs. It's good to hear how stronger bikers are coming alongside encouraging and helping those who are struggling. Sort of a little picture of the Christian life. Of course quitting is not an option but oh how good it is to be able to rely on fellow pilgrims when the going gets tough.

It's good to hear you and Fred are doing well. Keep up the good work and don't forget to take an aspirin a day!

SD the sil

 
At July 10, 2008 at 10:42 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Randy,

Returned from vacation on Monday (is it Thursday already?) and read all your blogs. Ruth & I read yesterday's together.

What a trip!
You are doing it man!

People in church are getting caught up in the tour too, although I suspect some are getting tired of me mentioning sea to sea ALL the time.

I asked for particular emphasis this past Sunday on the poor and the purpose of the trip to be obedient to Jesus' call to help them.

I tried to call Shelley but I believe I copied your home number incorrectly. Ruth and I just wanted to encourage her.

Following the trip each day, Love it!

Called my pastor friend Paul DeVries in Grand Rapids. One of the members of his church will be joining the tour in GR to NJ. Unfortunately, Paul will be on vacation when you arrive. I wanted him to check up on you.

Hey, if accounting doesn't work out for you, you could become a permanant bike guy! What do you think?

Blessings (Prayers everyday)

FRED

 
At July 10, 2008 at 1:06 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Randy,
OK, reading of your riding exploits, I'm changing my moniker -Werff Rider just isn't cutting it anymore - Its like building a dog house and calling myself a builder, or sticking two chickens in a coop and calling myself a chicken farmer ... you guys are THE RIDERS EXTRAORDINAIRE!
Although I've yet to see it for myself, your head shaven support crew here in Chilliwack apparently look like freaks ... so they really are making the sacrifice for you ... hahaha.
Hey Randy (and Fred et al), I have been given the priviledge to lead the congregational prayer for both services this Sunday. If you get a chance, it would be great to hear from you via your blog, about specific prayer requests: Items of thanksgiving and petition for you, and for the whole fellowship on wheels.
Blessings all the way!!
John

 
At July 10, 2008 at 6:20 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Randy
Since Fred's comment section seems to be unavailable the last day, I will write via you. I haven't seen any new pictures lately except at the store where your sitting on bar stools. You'll have to tell Fred to remove the old ones and put new ones in for viewing. I can't believe another week is almost done! Shelley and I are doing great. She has persuaded me to come with her to her trainer. Man this girl makes us work! I can't do near what Shel can and my legs are so sore but now I can relate to what you guys are going thru. Did Shel tell you we rode our bikes the other day so we can support our husbands. The only thing is we rode them to the mall to catch the super sale at Sears. Got some great deals. We hope to spend some time at Thousand trails and before ya know it we will be in NYC in six weeks. Thanks for taking care of Fred so he doesn't get lost...he must miss his navigator hehe :) Take care, Elly.

 
At July 10, 2008 at 7:12 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Randy and Fred,

Finally a word from your old training partner. I hope it did some good.
I'm reading your blogs every single day and according to Christine green with envy.
I really miss our training sessions together.
Are you exhausted after a long day on the bike? And how is your neck Randy?
Well guys bike hard and enjoy it as much as possible.
We pray that the Lord will keep you save.
Art

 
At July 10, 2008 at 7:13 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Randall,
Good to read your blog and see you're doing so well. Wish I was there too. Every time I read your blog I can't help but smile and think about the day you biked with Kevin and me on the KVR. Maybe when you're back you'll try it again with us. Anyways, keep those legs moving and wheels turning.

Rick

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home