Day 13 Ontario to Boise
Today we crossed into Idaho. Ontario, the town we were in last night is right near the border. We also are now on Mountain Time.
It was a cool morning at wake up time, around 55. When it was time to go, I noticed my front tire was flat. Bad start card! So we didn't leave until just after 8 today. Biked with Fred M and Greg D. Again, there are a lot of different crops grown here.
The picture that should show up on Fred's site was of a crop that had a good smell to it. Some kind of spice?
We ended up on the new Hwy 30/Interstate 84 instead of the old 30. I think it shaved a few km of off our ride, but of course has a lot more traffic. The route today was otherwise all on country roads. As we neared Boise (the state capital of Idaho), we came by some nice golf courses and some very nice new housing. Boise, being the capital and also home to Boise State University seems to be doing quite well, at least from what we saw on our route today.
We made a pit stop at a coffee shop in the Hyde Park Historical District where about 20 or so other cyclists were sitting in or outside. I have a picture of an antique shop with a BMW parked in front of it. I was waiting for Alma to walk out. ha. So this was a pretty unique area of older homes, all in good shape, and many turned into businesses. Fred got a flat here. We were biking with Ed Vanderpol from OR at the time and he passed on some good tube replacement tips.
We passed by the Boise State Univ football field, so took a quick peek there. They were installing a new astro turf field. Bike around the school a bit and found the book store to buy a shirt. Had to pay for it this time.
Just before arriving at our school, my front tire went flat. Darn! I put Ed's tips to work, a fine opportunity for doing so. Hope it doesn't happen again.
We got to Timberline HS around 3:30. It's quite hot, but I don't mind at all. Baseball seems to be the most succesful sport here. The school is very big and pretty new. We did 105 k (63 k), 4 hours on the bike, avg speed 26.2 kph (15.7 mph).
So it was a nice Saturday bike ride.

6 Comments:
hey dad, done week two. way to go. I was talking with a friend of mine in edmonton, and he said his dad is doing it. Last name is Schenk. Not much new out in edmonton. I almost wiped out on my bike when I snapped off my petal in mid stride. I hope you manage to keep your petals intacked. I see Peter devette has his house up for sale in chwk. God's blessing in week 3.
trevor
Hey Dad, I hope that everything is going well. It sounds like you are having a lot of fun. We are reading along with you every day before we go to sleep and are keeping you and the rest of the team in our prayers. Good luck in the up coming weeks.
Kathleen
Hay Randy!
Good going guy, two weeks done!! We're with you all the way! We think and talk about all you guys on the C2C, daily. You, Fred, Weibo and the support team are in our prayers. We enjoy keeping pace with you from your blogg. Your photos are great, thanks. Keep drinking that chocolate milk! Many atheletes know the value of drinking chocolate milk to replenish lost nutrients during strenuous workouts.No bull!! Have a good break Sunday. We're having a beautiful weekend, so I'm taking RS/SS out. Well keep those wheels in motion. Cheers!
Good morning Randy
Alway great to read how your day went and all the great attractions.Feel like we are seeing the country through you.
Have a great Sunday,as we'll miss not seeing you up front this morning. Always in our prayers.
Randy,
Today in church an avid cylist did the children's sermon and compared the tour de France with Sea to Sea.
He asked the children if they wanted to race through life to be a winner or if they wanted to travel a little slower and observe God around them and to think of others instead of only themselves.
You and the entire tour are modeling the way it should be in life.
I was blessed with his thoughts and blessed to have a personal interest in Sea to Sea.
A thought came to me which I bounced off Ruth, and she didn't laugh.
The thought is, after 2 long weeks of arduous peddling and travel, the best advice I can give you is, don't look at a map of North America!
Received a heartfelt e-mail from Shelly which Ruth and I both appreciated very much. Additional advice from both of us is, hold on to that beautiful woman!
Brian prayed for you by name and the entire tour this morning.
I'm sure you know that life goes on while you continue your journey. A wonderful couple in our church lost their 50 year old son this past Wednesday to a 2 year illness.
Heartbreaking news, at the same time a remembrance each day to be thankful for the physical gifts we are given.
Your blog is a daily highlight for us.
Blessings friend
Fred
Hey Randy!
Great to hear everything's going so well. "Envious" is a pretty good way to describe how I feel. :-) I check the blogs every day... even in the morning, when I know there's nothing new anyway since I just read all the new postings the previous night.
So what's the tube replacement tip Ed gave? If it involves too much hand-waving to explain it, you'll have to fill us in when you get back. When you get a flat, do you just replace the tube and fix the flat when you get into camp? Or do you patch it while you're on the road?
They showed some of your pictures on the screen before the service started today. Lookin' good!
Russ
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home