Day 12 Huntington to Ontario
Another short but sweet day. This will be the second shortest day of the tour. Fred M was on sweep duty today, so I biked with Joel Pel from Vancouver BC. Joel is leaving this weekend, as he his working on his thesis to get his PhD.
Again we had a good tail wind. The uphills and downhills evened out over the course of the ride. It's another hot afternoon, close to 100. But it hasn't been too bad cycling as this week we've been in before the afternoon heat hits. There is a lot of different crops growing along the route today. We saw wheat, onions, peppermint. Irrigation is mostly drip and we can see the water "troughs" along the road where the drip lines take the water out of. Walter says it makes him feel like "home". Not sure if he means Chilliwack, Lacombe, or Mexico. I think Lacombe, ha.
So we were in by 10:45, having left at 8:25. My walk to the library shows that Ontario OR is night and day different than Huntington OR. The lawns and houses I saw were neat, watered, and clean. Again, Fred will have a couple of pictures and you will see the difference yourself.
Bottom line: 59 k (35 mi), 2:20 min on the saddle, avg speed 29.4 kph (close to 18 mph). All is well, my neck doesn't bother me too much, maybe b/c the rides have been short, or I'm just getting used to it.

3 Comments:
Hi Randy,
Well we have some "great things planned for today", I think I found the house you lived in in Taber, well I thought I did. Hope to connect live in person sometime, we have lots of issues to talk about. Good to hear all is well, We have not seen Shelley's comments for awhile, probably out shopping.
Cousin Dick
Hey Rand, I thought I better leave a comment on your blog just so cousin Dick knows that I'm not out shopping all the time. So you finally got your first flat, that's not bad considering the amount some of the others have been getting. Alma and I biked to Cultas and back today and the only thing that got me up our hill at the end of the ride was knowing that you do this everyday, day after day (granted your driving a cadilac and I have a truck) and in weather that is about 10c hotter. So my hat goes off to you and all the other bikers out there. Keep up the good work! Glad to hear no one rolled over you in that wind storm. Love Shelley
hi randy,
glad to hear your healthy and reaching your goal.
got a litany of questions:
how long does it take you pros to fix a flat? after almost 2 weeks on the road, have you noticed any changes in the upper body? has your weight changed? any difference in how the bugs taste from state to state? do riders pee in their shorts?
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle. ~Ernest Hemingway
happy trails, randy,
secretasianman
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home