Monday, July 7, 2008

Day 8 Kennewick to Pendleton

It was a nice day for cycling again, hot and sunny.
We started off before 7:30 with Fred M, Greg D from IA, and Bob Brouwer from MI. We crossed over the Columbia River on a long suspension bridge (the Ed Hendler bridge). Bob had a little spill just after that while trying to clean his tire while moving (slowly).

A good part of the day was spent cycling along Lake Wallula on US 730 S. Earlier we were on US 12E and the wind was pretty nasty. We did the pace line thing for that where we take turns in the lead. The wind died down just after we crossed into Oregon. We had brunch at 10:30, oatmeal cookies and tuna sandwich. Fred had a flat fron tire shortly after that, and a rear flat at the 80 k mark, and then again as we arrived at the school. A photographer from the Eastern Oregonian was taking our pictures as we biked by near the old school (there'll be a picture on Fred site)

The last half of the day was mostly climbing, then down, then up, etc. Not too bad but quite hot. We saw some dust devils in the fields. Lots of wheat here. We stopped at the Pendleton Safeway for some chocolate milk. Great stuff after a long ride. We arrived at Pendleton Middle School around 3.

For the day it was 107 k (65 Mi), 24.6 avg (15 mph). A good day all in all.

6 Comments:

At July 7, 2008 at 8:48 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Hon, well I am always thankful when I see you made it safely through another day. Fred might want to get his rim or tire checked out, seeing as he has had a few flats already maybe he needs a different tire or is he just finding all the glass on the road. Sounds like the people in Kenewick treated you guys well. Just remember if you miss us too much we or I can always fly in to meet you somewhere, just give me the green light and I will book the plane ticket. Alma and mom invited me for lunch yesterday, so I biked to Alma's and Cindy, Alma and I went biking. After the bike ride, I biked to my mom's for supper so all in all my day went by pretty fast for which I was thankful (I have to agree that Sunday's could be a bit tough)I just need to keep busy. Good thing most of my friends enjoy a long walk or bike ride. Love you, hope you have a good sleep and a great ride tomorrow.

 
At July 7, 2008 at 9:04 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

No mention of your little mishap at the school Randy? If you send people over to Fred M's site to look at your pictures you should assume they'll also read his blog and see the mention of your 'who made me fall?' episode! Hilarious.
Anyway, I'm following your blog and praying for your safety and for the others. Are you figuring out how many hours til next tax time while your riding?

 
At July 7, 2008 at 9:13 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Rand, I just read Fred's blog after I had already commented on yours. So what exactly happened at Starbuck's? At least you can't blame me for that one. Anyhow, I got a good laugh out of that story and I assume you are alright.

 
At July 7, 2008 at 9:34 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there brother, say no to temptaion. Don t be flying the little women out just because she is weak. Remember Uriah the Hitite. Oh, by the way, Jim and myself got our hair buzzed off and won t get it cut again till u get your s cut in about 8 wks. How s that for support brother? Tony B.

 
At July 8, 2008 at 2:15 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Randy Fred and Wiebo
Keep up the energy level guys. I have been reading of your exploits. Sounds like a great adventure. Pace yourselves and yu will do just fine. We are all thinking of you and you are in our prayers. Say Hi to Hans Vandooyewert from Surrey for me Rick dB

 
At July 8, 2008 at 10:15 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

just keep on going we are praying for you and no matter what GOd is always with you

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home