Day 15 Boise to Mountain Home
Fred and I biked with a couple of the younsters today (David T, Manley B, and Nathan B from MI, ON, and MI). My tongue is still hanging out of my mouth. We had a good tail wind most of the day so our speeds were up. But there was one part where we had a head wind and a bit of an incline. Manley B took the lead so I would draft him. He was still going 27 kph, so it was hard work keeping up. He is a very strong rider.
The scenery was mostly dry land and sage brush. There were no towns in between the start and finish and where was the C2C portapotti to get rid of the water we drink? Oh, there it is, at the 3/4 done mark. Bear in mind it's pretty hard to hide behind sage brush.
I got another flat today. Very frustrating, I'm starting to catch up to Fred. I think mine came going over some cattle grates. This at the 37 k mark (23 mi). Rest of day went good. Poor Brian G from PEI had 3.
It's hot again, but pretty breezy here, and some white clouds in sight. There is an Air Force base here. My sweep team is serving supper tonight, so I've got to run. Tomorrow we ride sweep, meaning we leave last and come in last after any stragglers.
Bottom line: 93 k, 3:15 cycling, with a 28.8 kph avg (17 mph)

5 Comments:
Randy, you are TO funny!
SD the sil
Seeing as Fred's comments are still unavailable I will have to go to my next best support guy. Hey Randy I really enjoy reading about your and Fred's day. You sound like the two old guys on the muppets. Sorry to hear you have the flat tire curse now. Shelley and I are hanging in there. Between work, running, biking, shopping, and looking after the boys we are keeping pretty busy. We even managed to take the boat out on our own, and Freddie's help as well. Sounds like you two are getting stronger cyclists keeping up with the young ones! Everyone I talk to says they are spending far too much time on the blogs. Thanks for all the updates and the pictures. It feels like we are right there with you! See you in NYC, we leave in 6 weeks today. Elly.
hay Rand,
Elly's right, we're spending too much time looking at blogs lately. It's something to look forward to at nights, to hear how the day went for you guys. I don't want you to catch up to Fred with flats,so here's a tip. Switch tires to "Motomaster all-terain" and you can get them at the local Canadian Tire store eh!! Hopefuly you brought Canadian Tire money too. Have a good one tomorrow. Say hi to Fred and Weibo.
Hey Randall,
I have been out practicing biking, I went about 1/2 a mile this morning and then an old Hockey injury crept up on me. everytime I look at my bike[never mind getting on it] I think of you, all of the 8,000 taberites are rooting for you and Alex V. have a great day
cousin dick
Randy. Hope this finds you well. Enjoy reading about all the people you are with. We are all fine here in Chwk Marcel just got back from a cruise to Alaska with Monica's family. I drove them to the ship and picked them up. Missed two Sundays over that (blame the youth pastor) You said you were homesick. I read about your daily rides and I feel like I am missing a great adventure and all the other neat things that go with it. I used to get flats on my road bike to and than Leonard Stad (Jack's Cycle) turned me on to Kevlar tires and I never had a puncture for a couple of years except for one of those pinch flat(snake bite 2 holes) from hitting a curb or pothole. Since I switched to the mountain bike I haven't had many problems at all. But those little thorns look mean. Wandering about with the Military and moving every three or four years made both Alida and I ask if it was time to move again four years after we got to Chwk. We are starting to settle in now that we have been here for ten years. You take care and say hi to Fred and Wiebo and Hans VanD from Surrey. I hope you are all doing well. Give a pat on the back to Gayle Harrison for me. She writes a great blog. The whole pot bellied pig story. She must work twice as hard as anyone. Like Bill Rogers(Boston Marathon winner 3 or 4 times)said it is easy to run 2 hr 10 mins just think of the people that are out there for three to five hours. He went on to say he respected them more for that effort. Cheers for now. Rick
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home