Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Day 23 Duchesne to Dinosaur

Well, it's a pretty tired crew around here right now. The successive long days are taking their toll. However, after supper we will certainly feel more refreshed. Right now we are in Dinosaur, CO, state #5. Dinasaur is a very small town. Most of the streets are named after dinasaurs. I hear the town may go extinct. (badabing)

We left at 6:45 this morning. Didn't get up any earlier, things just worked out good I guess. The first 30 K (20 mi) went really fast, slightly downhill, and favourable winds. We biked a fair bit with Bert S today. We came by Jake K who had a bad fall after his seat post broke. He's OK now though and finished the day after getting his bike fixed.

Fred, Bert and I stopped at the A & W in Vernal for some food and drink (it was one of the first places we saw). Later we stopped at Walter's for some waltermelon. THat was just after the the half way mark. Shortly after, Fred had his first flat. The scenery was really neat today, kind of what I pictured Utah to be, red rock, red dirt, different type mountains etc.

The last 50 k (30 mi) are what took it out of most people. The wind was from the side or front and we were mostly uphill as well. To quote Fred at the 120 k point "this is a no ender" But we're here, and the grilled chicken smells great. A few more tough days this week, and then the rides ought to ease up a bit.

We got in at 3:15, after stopping for a dark cherry pop at one place and a choc milk at a gas station just after. So it was an 8 1/2 hr day, of which 6:05 was on the saddle. Avg speed was 25.1 kph (15 mph). I'm OK with that. Total distance was 153 k (90 mi)

PS Thanks friends for your supportive comments and prayers. It's appreciated.
It's about 8 now and the winds have changed to the right direction. Maybe we ought to get a head start on tomorrow?

2 Comments:

At July 23, 2008 at 11:23 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Rand, boy you know you have been in the saddle too long when you have your seat post break! Yikes, good thing everything turned out okay. I hope you have the wind at your back today, be careful on those roads with no shoulders. Alma and I biked to Abbotsford yesterday and the wind was fairly strong and against us all the way there, needless to say we were pretty tired and that was only after 2 hours of biking and no hills. We reluctantly got on our bikes to return home and wow what a difference it makes to have the wind at your back. So may the wind be always at your back, may the goatheads be few and may you have wide shoulders to bike on. You are all doing an amazing job, keep it up and I pray that the donations continue to come in as you cycle for this great cause.
Love Shelley

 
At July 23, 2008 at 2:18 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey dad sounds like you having a tough week it's a good thing dewolde's aren't quitters hey dad I know you can do it. anyhoo have fun the rest of the week
-Matt

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home