Monday, July 21, 2008

Day 22 Salt Lake City to Duchesne

Today is our last full day in Utah, as tomorrow we cross into Colorado. Fred is on sweep today, and at 6 PM is still out there somewhere.

I headed out on my own at 7:30. There are plenty of cyclists on the road to pass or be passed by or cycle with though. We didn't really know what was in store for us today elevation wise, just that there would be a mountain pass and a net decline in elevation of about 1200'.

So the first 10 k (6 mi) was a continuation of Saturday's descent. Then it was a left on to UT32 which ran counter parallel to that first 10 k and was pure uphill for 7 k (4 mi). After that it was just a gradual climb for a while, then more serious until the 50 k (30 mi) spot where Walter was. The scenery was pretty good though. Kind of like Manning Park or the Okanagon. More pine trees etc in the mountains instead of sage brush.

The next 10 k (6 mi) were pretty tough going, a steady 8% grade. The sign at the peak showed our elevation to be 9453'! Crazy! Then we had a good descent, but a head wind kept my speed down somewhat.

By the time I hit Cory and his SAG wagon at the 120 k (72 mi) mark, I was pretty bagged. Should've eaten more on route. I guess I need Fred to tell me when to stop and take a break.
The next 30 k were alright though after eating at Cory's SAG.

I did cycle with a number of different people in the after noon, and at times had a good line going.

I got some good pictures I think. (should show up on Fred M's blog) That's Lou Haveman hanging onto the gov't truck which was doing some spraying on the side of the road. I had a spill right after that picture as I didn't clip in my rt foot fast after stopping to take the picture. No speed on hill = loss of balance = laying on left side of body. Nothing serious.

Bottom line: 150 k (93 mi) in at 3:30, total cycling time of 6:30, avg speed 23.3 kph (14 mi). We're paying now for our easier days in the first few weeks. It was nice today in that the clouds were out so it didn't get hot at all, although it has cleared up now. We're staying at the Duchesne Fairgrounds tonight.

(6:30 now and people are still rolling in)

9 Comments:

At July 21, 2008 at 8:22 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Randy,

Well Randall, the Klok's are doing the biking now, Margaret and I are on the Bikes every day, until the old hockey injury kicks in, then we stop and have an Ice Cream.Its great to read up on how you are doing, you would make a good sports reporter for the Canuckleheads. We are praying for you, be encouraged!

 
At July 21, 2008 at 8:55 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Randy,

Keep up the good work. Frank is diligently following Fred's and your sites. (I think your starting some sort of sea to sea cult.)
What goes up must come down. Sooner or later your going to hit some more downhill sites.
Don't let the duffus's get you down, obviously some people have no lives what so ever.

Thinking of you (and so glad it's not us.)
Gail & Frank

 
At July 21, 2008 at 10:30 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well Randy....I admire your cheerful persistance! We could hardly wait to get through Utah in the van. I can't imagine what it would be like on a bike in the sweltering heat.

But good for you! Keep up the good work and be careful. There's a whole community of people rooting for you (AND fred AND wiebo AND etc etc.)

I can't post on Fred's site but please tell him how much we enjoy the picts.

Wishing you the best tomorrow as you start John Denver land.

SD the sil

 
At July 21, 2008 at 10:40 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Randy we are very impressed how you all do this day after day ..I think I'd be done after the first week..We wish you all the best and think of you often we keep talking with Shelley trying to keep her busy but she's pretty good at that on her own.just ignore the nasty comments someone is very jealous I think and doesn't have the guts to post thier name imagine that!!
God Bless you all
l&w t

 
At July 21, 2008 at 11:13 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Randy,
Congratulations on your 1st 100 mile day!!! What a great feeling it must be to conquer a long hill, and stand at the top and say, "I did it". Went to Sun Peaks this weekend, and was thinking of you C2C guys at any long hill we climbed, and just to think your doing this on two wheels! Keep it up!! God bless! Remember, what goes up will come down.
G&J Brink

 
At July 21, 2008 at 11:26 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey Randy, sounds like you have had a few tough days. We are proud of our SGL. Keep on pedaling for the cause. Say hello to the cooks. We hear they are keeping fit along with the rest of you. As for the anonymous person, you are troubled. Get some counseling. T D B

 
At July 22, 2008 at 8:36 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Randy,
Thanks for you updates daily - we love to hear from ya. Looks like you have a couple tough days ahead of you - just take a km (or mile)at a time. Terry says keep drinking chocolate milk....keep the dairies in business. Have a great day and if you have a chance say hi to Dad and Mom.
Keep it up and God bless!

 
At July 22, 2008 at 3:05 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Randy,

Keep it up man!!!! I am blown away by what you can bike in a day. Amazing. We're praying for you, talking about you and then doing a whole lot more praying. Looking forward to the next blog.

 
At July 22, 2008 at 3:07 PM , Blogger Kathy van Yperen said...

Way to go Randy, great to read of your progress. Very interesting an inspirational. My husband and I have been watching as much as possible of the Tour de France the last 2 weeks so I'm reminded of you and your great efforts. Keep plugging along, you're doing awesome.
Kathy vanYperen (Hannah)
ps We have 80 people attending the reunion now so looking forward to it. I'll send you pictures.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home