Sunday, August 3, 2008

Day 35 Sunday in Fremont NE

We are staying at the Fremont YMCA/skating rink. Some of the more energitic cyclist (the young 'uns) were able to play some hockey last night and probably were out there for a couple of hours. Some also slept in the rink or the A/C lobby as the building was kept open all night. Most are in tents on the grass area in front of the building.

There were different church options today. We could get a school bus ride to Omaha or Lincoln for the Celebration services, or there was the Good Shepherd Lutheran Church right beside the YMCA. Fred and I and a dozen or so others decided to stay here and have an opportunity then also to tell the locals what we were doing. (No, the two hour round trip in the school bus had nothing to do with it.) So we went to the 8:30 service. After that, I thought I'd take a walk and headed towards town. Coming by the Salem Lutheran Church's grand old brick building, I saw they were having a service at 10:15, so I figured I'd drop in there as well. Nice stained glass windows. wood floors, a good time of worship too.

Getting back to camp, I was told that the people of the Good Shepherd Lutheran Church were going to open up their gym area and bring in baked goods, iced tea, snacks, etc. Very nice of them as they had no idea until today what we were doing etc. Andy H (ON) and I are now at Dick and Jan's place, watching golf and doing our internet thing. I commented that this is the first time I've been in a house since June 26. The church has also offered to keep their gym open for anyone who wishes to sleep there tonight as well. Very accomodating I think.

I start sweep duties tonight for supper which will carry on until arrival in Sioux City IA tomorrow.

3 Comments:

At August 3, 2008 at 4:05 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI randy.

A nice easy sunday...you guys deserve it.
You're more than halfway now...keep going
You and the rest of the team are in our prayers.
Be careful on the road next week...enjoy.
God bless you.

handm

 
At August 3, 2008 at 7:29 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Randy,
It's unbelievable that you are already just 'down the road' from the old alma mater and you biked all the way!

Tomorrow, you'll know you're getting closer to S.C. when the whiffs of piggy p..p get stronger. Let's just hope the wind is blowing the right way for once (smile). Otherwise the smell alone might blow your front tire.

Fresh, Chilliwack brand, sinus clearing cow p..p beats that nose singeing pig stuff anyday!

S.D. the sil

 
At August 3, 2008 at 10:22 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way to go Randall, proud of ya.

Its amazing that you are over half done already, but that is easy to say while I am sitting at my computer.

Well this week you get the glory ride of peddling into Dordt. I think this may be the highlight of your trip :) Enjoy it.

Take care, be careful.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home