Thursday, July 31, 2008

Day 32 McCook to Minden

Today was a great day for cycling. A tailwind! All day long!

Got up at the usual 5:30, but with the time change, it was still pretty dark. That didn't seem to deter most people though from getting lunch and bikes ready and getting breakfast taken care of.

Fred was on sweep duty today, so I left myself at 7:15. It was still fairly dark at 6:30. I had my rear tire go flat again about 10 miles out, by Indianola. This time I found the wire that had gotten in through the rubber and got it out. No more flats after that thankfully.

At that point, Andy Hiemstra (ON) caught up to me and we cycled together the rest of the day. He says one of the differences between this tour and the 05 tour is that people leave way earlier now. In 05 no one left at 6:15ish. But here heat is the problem, so you want to get going while it's still cool. It's well over 90 again today.

Mid section we had a lot of rolling hills. We would get up to 50kph (30mph) downhill, then slow down to 16kph (10mph) going back up. We enjoyed the downhills.

Minden has a big courthouse (pic) built in 1907. The Minden Opera House was built in 1891 and was restored 7 years ago by money donated by the Kellogg's company. They buy a lot of their corn (for corn flakes) from around this area. I took a look inside. Very nice. I saw Erna, Dini, Lavonna leaving there as well (pic).

I got into town about 2:15. Totals for day: 158 klm (98 mi), 5:20 on the saddle, 30.0 avg kph (18 mph)

5 Comments:

At July 31, 2008 at 4:51 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Randy,
Congrats on making it halfways through the tour! It's all "downhill" from here on in.
Take care.

Rick and Henriette

 
At July 31, 2008 at 4:58 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Randy,

Great to hear that you finally got a tail wind! Wow, can't believe you are already over half way. It's amazing that cycling +- 150Km is fairly routine, although I'm sure you're quite exhausted most evenings. And to do that 6 days a week for 9 weeks... quite a feat! What you riders and the support crew are doing is impressive. And I hear the funds raised are now over 2M!
Sounds like you're meeting interesting people and making new friends on the road. Reminds me of a quote, not sure who the author is ... "A Journey is best measured in friends rather than miles."
Nothing too much new here in Da Wack ... Corn keeps growing, lots of road construction, blah, blah ... personally we are scrambling to get ready for the wedding this Saturday - biggest challenge now is dealing with possible rain and likely cool weather for this outdoor event. Certain people who will remain nameless from our SG are a huge help for us.
Randy, we continue to pray for you ... for perseverence, energy, safety and peace.
Blessings, John Stellingwerff

 
At July 31, 2008 at 6:49 PM , Blogger Kurke said...

Hey Randy, Glad you found the cause of your tire touble. I really enjoyed meeting you, Bill D., and Andy D. I've gotta work on motivation, you guys put me to shame rolling into McCook during that 100 degrees. I wish I would have used my cellphone to snap a picture of you sitting there on that hot asphalt fixing your tire while the sign a mile away said temp was 104 degrees. We already know you all are enduring an awsome task, but that image could have said so much more. "The heat waves rising up with the highway behind you reflecting like water". I think many who just drive by probably think you guys are nuts just out on some few day journey, without meeting you they have no idea how tough and real you all are, nor how far you've come or are going. here is the link from our town paper. http://www.mccookgazette.com/story/1449153.html

Tell Bill and Andy, HI! And let the air out of Bills tire for me, :)

Your friend in McCook Nebraska,
Kurke Curl

 
At August 1, 2008 at 1:29 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Hello Randy,
Interested to note that you rode with Andy Hiemstra. We got to know him from Port Perry, which was my first congregation when I started in ministry back in 1981. Please pass along our greetings to him. Are there other differences between 05 and 08?
Congratulations on reaching the halfway point!
Carel and Irene Geleynse

 
At August 1, 2008 at 1:53 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Randy,
Congratulations ! You're doing great! I just got back from NYC and now I can truly sympathize with the heat and humidity.Keep going!!
Elmo van Wyk

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home