Day 34 York to Fremont
We left at the usual just before 7. The wind had already been going for some time, from the SE. No dew settled overnight on account of the wind.
My rear flat problems continued with a flat at the 16 k (10 mi). Since I have put on close to 4,500 k (2,700 mi) on this original tire since May, I think it's time for it to be replaced.
We stopped in Seward, NE and bought a couple of good fruit pastries (an apricot and a strawberry) at the farmers market which is right in front of the courthouse. There is a war monument dating back to Gettysburg (pic) and the downtown is nicely redone, including brick streets (pic).
The SE wind was really going strong today, the windiest day of the week. It wasn't nice when we headed E, but great when we were going N. We spent about 95 k (55 mi) going E and about 60 k (36 mi) going N. With the wind at our back we could do 30-35 (18-21) but later on into the wind it would keep me down to about 20 k (12). Pretty slow. My rear tire was losing air, so I made stops short and pumped it up along the way as needed, just wanting to get into Fremont. Fremont has a population of 25,000, pretty big for these parts. Unfortunately, there is no bike store here. I figure biking is not big here because of the wind (Honey, going biking, can you pick me up in an hour? I don't want to bike back). Fortunately, Barb M and John V had to go to Omaha and picked up a tire for me there.
It was sunny, hot, and humid all day. Which still beats cycling in rain I think.
It's nice to have this week done as we put a lot of miles on and it's time to rest up a bit for next week which will also have our 3 longest cycling days.
Totals for day: 158 klm (98 mi), 6:15 on the saddle, 25.3 kph avg (15.2 mph)

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home