Monday, August 4, 2008

Day 36 Fremont to Sioux City

Said good bye to the corn and soy fields of Nebraska and hello to the corn and soy fields of Iowa today, our 7th state.

Carrying on with sweep duties this AM, we left as "sweepers" at 8:45. Not bad. Not like the wind, it was coming from the north, the direction we are heading for today and tomorrow. Oh well. It did die down for a part of the day at least, but I'd say 2/3 of the day was dealing with head winds.

I missed a turn off onto CR15 early on as did about 1/2 of the cyclists today. That brought us to another route and we had a brief stop at the Kennard PO (pic) for directions. We also came through a really sleepy town called Herman (pic of old equip shop) which at least had a PO where we could get some water. I was biking with Russ J (MI) at that point. We got back on route and cycled over the Missouri River, which is the border of Nebraska and Iowa. (pic) It's one of those open grid metal deck bridges where you can see down to the water. Kind of sketchy to cycle on.

On the other side we came by Tony S (MB) who had just fallen off of his bike. He hurt his ribs a bit making cycling into the winds a little tougher (when you can't breath well). So Jim and I drafted him into our final stop. All that means is Jim and I take turns in front, breaking the wind for the guy behind. We made another wrong turn and ended up in a place called Whiting (2 pic - old laundromat and old bank). I think the downtown buildings were built around 1900 and there has been little change since. Kind of neat to see. There we just hung a left and got back on the right road. (Oh, there was no choco milk at the gas station there so I got a Sobey's and subsequent heartburn this time)

Tomorrow's the big day. Getting into Iowa for the first time in about 30 years was good, but tomorrow it's Dordt College. Looking forward to it. Well, the lights in the gym are being turned off, so time to go. Most of the people are sleeping here as there is chance of rain tonight. There is lots of snoring going already. Oh boy, better find my ear plugs.

Totals for day: 158 klm (95 mi), 6:37 in the saddle, 23.0 kph avg (13.8 mph)

PS Happy anniversary to Tony and Dinah. May God bless you with many more great years together. I hope you had a wonderful day, out golfing together or something like that.

8 Comments:

At August 4, 2008 at 8:45 PM , Blogger mike vanderkwaak said...

Randy, Dad and Mom were just here and Mom caught up on your blog. She is following your every entry and loving it. Thanks for the thoughtful entries they are great to read. Keep going! Blessings, Mike

 
At August 4, 2008 at 8:51 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Randy,
The big day tomorrow...Dordt college here we come! Fred said you bought a new shirt for the occasion, now you need a new pair of shorts with DC on them and all the kids will think your wearing DC board clothing. Good to see you flying around in the background when I spoke to Fred. We will have to set up a time for you to call when Shelley is here so you will be able to see each other. Enjoy your retro day tomorrow! Elly.

 
At August 4, 2008 at 9:54 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Randy, glad things are going well,and that you get through every day God is good. Missed you on the weekend wedding and we will miss you at Cutis wedding. Tersa and I are praying for you all and hope you are being Blessed through all this take care and may God ride with you all Love Jerry & Teresa

 
At August 5, 2008 at 4:03 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Randy,

Ruth and I just returned from our second week's vacation. We kept up on your travels through our neighbor in upstate New York who does have internet service. Unlike Mexico, there won't be any Dordt sweatshirt today, but I read you do have other means of Dordt ID! We are a little blown away with the distances you and the tour have been traveling. We are praying for Southerly winds today. We pray for God's blessings for you and the tour everyday. By the way, are you finding directions with GPS, a map, or just raw instinct? Blessings,
Fred and Ruth

 
At August 5, 2008 at 7:51 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Randy, Hope you enjoy today. If there was one day of this bike tour we could do it would be today, biking back to Dordt college. Lots of good memories. Have a great day reminiscing about your wonderful year at Dordt. Wish we were there. Keeping the whole tour in our prayers.
Harry and Audrey

 
At August 5, 2008 at 9:49 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Rand, well this is the day you have been waiting for "Dordt College" I hope that it is as good a day as you had anticipated. Remember your weight limit (not that all people did) when making your purchases from Dordt. I hope that you don't make too many wrong turns today. I am glad Fred will be back with you today as he has the GPS, so hopefully no wrong turns. You guys are do amazing, keep up the good work. It looks like your temperatures are going to be a little cooler around 28-30 celcius, after the heat you guys have been biking in you might need to put on a long sleeve shirt for those days. I might go to Elly's tonight so I can talk to you on the computer, although you may be too busy roaming the halls of Dordt. If it doesn't work tonight, I will try again when Elly gets back from Sechelt. Have a great day! Love you, Shelley

 
At August 5, 2008 at 1:01 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Randy. A little surprised when your office updated me on your precense. After reading your profile it occurred to me that I need to budget more for accounting as there is more to talk about than just numbers. I look forward to reading your blog, a taste of what I hope to experience one day. All the best...

 
At August 5, 2008 at 4:18 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Randy, I have been checking your blog off and on between our holidays and catching up inbetween. I also took a wrong turn coming out of Nebraska once going to Dordt and I am sure I ended up on that very same bridge and it is kind of freaky driving a car over it, so I can't image what a bike would be like!!! I literally can picture that route in my mind as I have driven it a few times. John is impressed with all that chocolate milk you are drinking, good for all those dairy farmers!!! Take care, you are in our thoughts and prayers, John & Diane B

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home