Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Day 1 Seattle to Sultan

Sorry I'm a little later here. There was no connection Monday, so I'm catching up Tuesday night at 10 PM.
So Mon morning we cycled from the U of W to Garden City Park at the ocean. The Seattle area CRC's put on a nice breakfast for us. We left in groups of 12 every 2 minutes. I was in group 7. We all left to great cheers, and it was wonderful to have my family there. Our group had bike trouble at 0.1 k, so we split in two. I went with the younger ones as someone had to "watch over them" ha. It was a slow 85 k ride as we could only go as fast as the slowest person in our group. It took us a little over 4 hours plus stops. Eric Stehouwer blew a tire at one point, so we stopped at Bellvue Christian School to have lunch at take care of that.
It was a hot day, 97 degrees in the early afternoon, so it was very hot as well in Sultan where we set up camp. The staff put on a great supper, so I haven't lost any weight yet.
There were 12 wipe outs today, one was bad. Agatha V, an older lady from Vancouver had to go to hospital after running into an obscured post on the Burke Gilman Trail. She's OK, may be a slight concussion, so no cycling for 2 days. Two people wiped out twice. There were 9 flat tires.

1 Comments:

At July 1, 2008 at 10:34 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Rand, I was glad to read your blog and hear that all went relatively well. I am anxious to hear how the ride to Leavenworth went for you. I read Fred's blog and it sounds like it was a tough go, he had a tire blow when he was on the downhill, thankfully he didn't go over. I am sure your pretty tired tonight. Love you xoxo
P.S. Prepare yourself for Yakima, I think Auntie Ann has told the whole town!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home