Day 11 Golden to Lake Louise
Left the Golden Municipal Campground at 7:15, not a bad start seeing as things are spread out a bit here at camp. We had a bike path take us up and out of a Golden and Doug S and I were behind a couple of other cyclists. I expected that when we started the incline on this path they would boot it a bit, but, no, they slowed down. I was still in my middle chain ring, couldn't shift down at the slow speed, didn't unclip in time, so just put it all down, nicely landing on the curb at about 2 kph. First fall since 2008.
Getting going again it was a 10 klm hill, granny gear the whole way. I've driven up and down that hill many times, thinking it'd be a rotter to bike up. But early in the day my legs felt good and I didn't mind it. Took an hour and 15 minutes. Met up with Herman V (MB) and biked with him the rest of the day.
The third SAG was by Field at k 58. People hung around there for quite a while. Off to the left was a major hill that would go on for about 8 klm, which took us 50 minutes. A slow go, but again my legs felt ok and I was glad to have it done.
Our last sag was at the top of Kicking Horse Pass, the highest part of our trip. We had crossed into Alberta some where around there. About 6 of us cycled into Lake Louise together and grabbed lunch in the plaza there. Bit of a zoo, very busy. Our camp is Lake Louise Campground and it's pretty nice here, although it's a 5 minute walk to the kitchen truck.
Our total climbing today was 4800' and the the declines were 2800', so a net climb of 2000'.
Totals for the day: 85 klm, 4:20 cycling time, 20 kph avg. A good day all in all and our last time to be on the TCH until we get to Medicine Hat.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home