Day 6 Summerland to Vernon
Sitting at a laundromat in Vernon, good place to beat the heat. I think it's about 35 degrees out.
Left again at 7:30 am and had a steep hill for just over a klm right out the gate. Granny gear and 9 kph. That got us onto Hwy 97. We had a nice ride through Summerland and Peachland, some on bike paths. At our first sag stop a couple of motorcycles came by with stereo on playing Bethel Music's I'm no longer a slave to fear, I am a child of God.....we had to smile at that.
By Peachland we could see where the lake had over flowed due to the huge snow melt and storm. No boats allowed on either Lake Okanagan or Kalamalka as no boat wakes wanted.
The ride over the Westbank Kelowna bridge was interesting and by then we bunched up a bit as we biked through Kelowna. The ride through Kelowna was pretty nice and at k 56 we stopped at Kelowna CRC for lunch at 10:30. It was great, buns, tuna wraps, fruit, etc. We stayed for an hour. No pbj sandwiches today.
We were booking it pretty good at times, over 30 on the flats, and I thought my training really had paid off, but when we stopped at a sag stop I realized we had been enjoying a tail wind.
Coming into Vernon, I picked up a chocolate milk at the Petrocan station. We arrived at Vernon Christian School at 2:15, just in time to unload the bags from the gear truck and find a good spot to pitch the tent. Many plan to sleep in the gym where it's a little cooler.
Ethan V (ON), a 14 year old cyclist had a nasty fall at a construction spot, hitting some gravel. Road rash on his shoulder and hip, putting a hole in his new Canada jersey. But he and his bike are ok.
Yesterday some guy got his sunscreen and under side cream mixed up. No chaffing on his face at least.
Totals for today - 110 klm, 4:30 cycling time, 25.0 kph avg. A nice day and week one is in the bag. Tomorrow church shuttles to Vernon CRC and relax time. Will have to find some a/c I think.

2 Comments:
Have a great rest day Randy,one week in the books already
Glad to hear your first week went well...and no rain!! Enjoy reading your blog.. Froster about the sunscreen and chaffing cream, hope his face was not too badly burnt. ....be strong and carry on.. praying for safety and strength as you cycl through the Rockies!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home