Sunday, February 3, 2008

Trip to Mexico yields new Sea to Sea friendships

They say what happens in Mexico is supposed to stay in Mexico. But this story is too good to leave there, and besides, nothing ever really just stays in Mexico anyhow.

Shelley and I, along with several friends from Chilliwack, went to Mexico for a little holiday in January and ended up meeting a wonderful couple from New Jersey, Fred and Ruth Everett.

Our second last night there was cool and wet and the next morning it was still drizzling a little. As our restaurant always had the A/C on full blast, we usually ate outside on the patio, but because of the morning drizzle, we figured we would eat inside the restaurant this time. Knowing it would be cold in there I wore my Dordt College sweatshirt.

We were barely through the restaurant door when a voice called out "Dordt College!" It was a couple seated at a table right by the entrance. I went over to them to see what they knew of Dordt College. Well, their pastor had been a student there. "What church are you from?" I asked. "Unity CRC in New Jersey" they said.

I told them that I would be cycling to New Jersey next summer as a part of the Sea to Sea bike tour and that we would be ending by the Statue of Liberty. Fred said that was only about a half an hour from where they lived! Amazing! Fred and Ruth had just learned a little about the tour after reading the Banner article about it. As a result of our meeting, they are now quite well acquainted with the Sea to Sea bike tour and we look forward to meeting them at the end of the tour. (Shelley hopes to fly out to NJ for the finish and a look at NYC.)

Our meeting Fred and Ruth was certainly one of the highlights of our trip. A very heart warming experience and a blessing from God for sure. As Fred put it "This meeting was providence. We never sit by the front door at the restaurant, and I (Fred) had even said to Ruth, 'What are we sitting here for? It's too busy by the front door.' Nothing happens by chance, God puts us where He wants us." (my quotes may be off a little, but catch the general drift) And I don't usually wear a sweatshirt in Mexico, let alone one that says Dordt College. Yes, that's providence alright.

So we left Mexico with a real Sea to Sea experience, with us living at one end of the continent and the Everett's at the other. Who would've planned such a meeting? Fred and Ruth, may God be with you 'til we meet again!

Labels:

2 Comments:

At February 10, 2008 at 5:50 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm one of only 2 Sea to Sea cyclists from New Jersey...would you believe my home church (Bridgeway Community CRC) is about a half mile from Unity CRC? What a small world! I am doing the East leg of the ride, and I think it's cool that I'll be starting in Michigan (I grew up in Kalamazoo and went to Calvin) and ending in NJ, where I live now. I look forward to meeting you...
Sandy Westra

 
At March 3, 2008 at 6:19 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is This Nuts, or just Providential?

Ruth & I went to Mexico on an incentive trip with Bayard Sales Corporation, a company from whom my flooring business purchases products such as carpet, hardwood and vinyl flooring.

It was our next to last day. Rain meant that breakfast would be inside so I told Ruth to just pick a table. She proceeded to do so while I assembled my breakfast from the delicious buffet.

When I looked up I saw Ruth had chosen a table right where everyone entered the restaurant. I was not happy. Sitting down I asked her why from all the open tables had she selected one right by the entrance where so many coming in the restaurant (from our group) would recognize us. She said defiantly that I told her to pick a table and she did. There was a little more back and forth, you know, marriage conversation!

Suddenly she says to me "You're not going to believe this, a couple is walking in and the guy is wearing a Dordt sweatshirt. I immediately concluded this was a tactic of diversion to keep me from further explaining that the table she had chosen was the wrong one!

Turning around I too saw the sweatshirt "Hey Dordt, over here"!
And so Ruth and I met Randy & Shelley.
You know how you instantly know if you really like someone when you meet them? That's how it was with us meeting them. After introductions our talk centered on 'Sea to Sea'.

Conversation about 'Sea to Sea' peaked my interest. I admire the effort of anyone participating in such a feat. I could tell that Randy was committed and that Shelley was supporting his decision.

It will be hard on both of them. We will be praying for them along with the rest of the tour group.

During our conversation another connection surfaced. Ruth & I know Dave & Carrie Vroege from Western Canada (Alberta). Dave was a seminary intern at Unity CRC Prospect Park NJ for one year before taking his first charge in Halifax Ca where he resides now with Carrie & son Liam. Shelley and Randy know Daves brother Russ who attends their church in BC - Unbelievable.

After this initial meeting we felt so blessed to have met Randy & Shelley. We were excited! You know what Ruth said, "What do you think of my table selection now"?!
I hope to be at the finish line at Liberty State Park to congratulate my new found friend at the completion of his trip.

Fred & Ruth Everett

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home