Monday, May 5, 2008

Need For Speed

OK, I admit, I don't have a need for speed. What I do have is a need for comfort, and I still haven't found what I'm looking for.

Our Sunday afternoon ride included a new cyclist, expanding our group to four. The new cyclist is Tony B, also a member at Chilliwack CRC. Tony is a chicken farmer, but I do say, a pretty athletic chicken farmer. He owns a bike, but it's more of a cruiser (truck) as opposed to a road bike. So Tony used my bike and I borrowed Fred's wife's bike. Elly's bike is a good road bike, although a little on the small side for me. I could tell because my knees kept hitting my elbows.

So we picked Tony up on route, bikes loaded on the back of my truck. Tony comes out of his house wearing a golf shirt and khaki shorts. "Hey Tony, we're going biking, not golfing".

Well, the bike route was nice and scenic, going from Mission to Harrision Hot Springs, about 55 klm (33 mi) and the breeze was going the right way. There is one good sized climb near the end which also has a fairly long, windy, rapid descent. Fred and Art were already ahead and Tony was behind me. Once my speed had built up, I used the brakes a little, but then I hear "Coming by!" and it's Tony, riding my Opus Andante racing bike, golf shirt and khaki shorts flapping and fluttering in the breeze!

When we finished, I checked the computer on my bike (the one Tony was riding) to see what speed he had hit. My previous high was 58 (35) but the computer now showed 70 (42)! I guess Tony has a need for speed! Either that or I forgot to tell him how to use the brakes. He thought it was quite the rush anyhow. I think he'll be buying a road bike soon. (He'll likely be trading his khaki in for some of that nice spandex too!)

The ride took us 2 hours, averaging 27.5 (16.5) per hr. So a typical Sea to Sea day will mean doing that length twice. The trick is to not peak too early, but I don't think I'm in danger of that quite yet.

1 Comments:

At May 11, 2008 at 9:05 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Randy,

Great Blog Randy! Keep up the good work! My suggestion about your need for speed vs need for comfort: Go for speed ... you`ll be done quicker and have lots of time after the ride for comfort. Either that or go for one of these bikes at: www.bikeforest.com

Yea, you gotta watch those chicken farmer types ... totally unpredictable on a bike, not to mention they start to mimic the livestock they raise: all muscular thighs and breasts makes for powerful riding, and all that sqwacking not doubt helped. But totally without appreciation of the finer points of riding. Spandex may help, but do you really want chicken legs in spandexÉ

Anyhow, I`m totally proud of our trinitarian group of Chillwiack riders. Go Chilliwack Go!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home