The Golden Triangle and 2005 Sea to Sea
Last weekend Shelley and I made a road trip (by car) to Ponoka, Alberta for a family wedding. One thing we both are apt to take notice of from time to time are the cycling conditions en route. Participating in a cycling trip will do this to you.
As we were making our way back home on the holiday Monday, it occurred to me that we had seen very few cyclists on this trip. Perhaps because it's only May. But then just past Banff, AB, I saw a cyclist, followed by another, and another, and another. Soon we had counted up to 30 or so cyclists as we were driving West towards Golden, BC. Then we came by a pit stop and there had to be at least 100 cyclists there. Continuing towards Golden, we counted dozens more. I figured there had to be at least 200 in total. It turns out that this is an annual event called the Golden Triangle put on by the Elbow Valley Cycle Club out of Calgary, AB. The actual number of registrants is more like 350+. It's a three day event that goes from Banff, to Radium Hot Springs, to Golden, and then back to Banff. About 330 klm in total (200 miles).
What strikes me about seeing all of these cyclists is that it is a serious climb out of Golden heading East towards Banff. Until one does a climb like that, it's really hard to appreciate the effort and training required to make it up the mountain. It reminded me of what I consider to be the most difficult day of the 2008 Sea to Sea trip, being Day 2 from Sultan to Leavenworth, WA. About 130 klm (78 mi), which included going over Stevens Pass. If I were to relive a day of the 2008 trip, Day 2 would not likely be it.
But it also made me think about the 2005 Sea to Sea trip that went across Canada. There were about 100 cyclists that would have cycled on this same stretch of highway past Golden. Those 2005 cyclists did 150 klm (90 mi) from Revelstoke to Golden, BC and then over the next two days did 160 klm (100 mi) to Canmore, AB (just past Banff). Seeing the Golden Triangle cyclists struggle up these "hills" makes me take my hat off to all those 2005 Sea to Sea cyclists who also made it up those hills. I'm sure many thought "why am I doing this?".
Cheers to all those who participated in the 2005 Sea to Sea trip!

1 Comments:
http://krabbe.ca/blog/2012/2066
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home