Sea to Sea 2013
I recall sitting in a coffee shop with Fred M in Pennsylvania back in August, 2008, and we joked about how we could leave our bikes to sink in the Hudson River by the Statue of Liberty upon reaching our destination at the end of the 2008 Sea to Sea cycling trip. Riding a bike six days a week for nine weeks straight can easily make one think that way!
And truth be told, I have done precious little cycling since then, although it does happen from time to time. I guess it takes a Sea to Sea trip to get me on the saddle again, and it was just back in January that I decided to participate in the 2013 ride.
Why? A couple of reasons. The first is that this event requires cyclists to make it work. The goal is to raise funds for organizations that aid in poverty relief, such as World Renew (CRWRC) and Partners Worldwide. I like what they do, and this is a way I can help out. If there are no cyclists, there are no funds raised.
Having said that, if there are no people volunteering their time to drive the Sea to Sea vehicles, set up camps, cook meals, and do a host of other tasks, this event would not work either. Same as if there were no people willing to help out financially either. An event like this makes us truly dependent on each other and God for His blessings too.
The second reason for signing up is that many times I've thought how good it would be to relive a day or two of the 2008 bike trip. It was a phenomenal experience and the trip of a life time. Every so often I'll see a group of cyclists out for a ride, and my heart will beat just a little bit faster and I'll reflect for a moment on Sea to Sea 2008. Good times.
And so in four week's time I will be flying off to LA, bike in box, tent etc in duffle bag, and will again participate in Sea to Sea. The distance will be shorter for me, as I will finish off in Phoenix a week later. That seems kind of short in some ways, but I'm OK with that and happy to be able to help out. I also look forward to seeing a good number of the 2008 Sea to Sea cyclists and volunteers who also are participating again in 2013.
My bike is tuned up and good to go, now I just have to get the old body ready to hit the road for a 660 klm trip in the CA/AZ desert. I'm looking forward to it.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home